Water & Drainage

Who do I contact if I have problems with my water or wastewater services?


 To contact  Service / Location
Water Charges SectionQueries on bills or other aspects of water charges (Note that general information on water charges is available at www.dlrcoco.ie) Phone:
(01) 2047074
Water Supply Operations   -   Supply, maintenance, bursts,  etc.  
West of County - Sandyford Depot Phone:
(01) 2955063
Braemor, Ballychorus,  Ballyogan,  Barnacullia,  Churchtown (West),  Clonard, Corke Abbey, Falls Road, Ferndale Road, Glencullen, Grange Road, Kiltiernan, Landscape, Leopardstown Heights,  Marlay. Moreen,  New Vale, Nutgrove. Parc na Silla,  Pine Valley,  Quinns Road,  Sandyford Ind. Est.,  Sandyford,   Shanganagh (South),  Shankill, Stepaside, Stillorgan Ind. Park Est., Thornhill Road,  Woodbrook Glen
East of Country - Georges Street Depot. Phone:
(01) 2054700
Booterstown, Ballybrack,  Blackrock,  Dalkey, Dún Laoghaire, Glasthule, Killiney, Loughlinstown,  Monkstown,  Sallynoggin,  Sandycove,  Shanganagh (North), Trimblestown
Centre of County – Brewery Road Depot. Phone:
(01) 2884650
Belfield, Ballinteer,  Cabinteeley,  Churchtown (East only), Clonskeagh (South only), Cornelscourt,  Deansgrange,  Dundrum,  Galloping Green,  Goatstown, Leopardstown (except Heights), Mount Merrion, Rochestown Avenue, Stillorgan,  Windy Arbour
Drainage Operations   -   Main sewer maintenance, etc.   
East of County – Georges Place Depot. Phone:
(01) 2054700
Booterstown, Ballybrack,  Blackrock,  Dalkey, Dún Laoghaire, Glasthule, Killiney, Loughlinstown, Monkstown,  Sallynoggin,  Sandycove,  Shanganagh (North), Trimblestown
Rest of County - Sandyford depot
(01) 2955124
All Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council areas other than those above
Out-of-Hours  -  Water & Drainage  -   All areas  -  (01) 677 8844   


I have an air lock, how do I get rid of it?

For information on how to fix an air lock, please click on the following link, Air Locks(pdf -56kb) PDF Icon

Can I use my central heating if the water is off?

If your central heating system has been installed by a registered contractor, it should be run from a separate expansion tank in the attic.  This water should not be affected by a water main shutdown and it should be safe to run the system.  However, you should check with your installer/plumber to confirm.

Who must pay water charges?

All non-domestic users of the water service must pay water charges.

Under the Water Pricing policy,  government funding is provided to local authorities for domestic water services only.  Domestic water is very strictly defined to mean water for ordinary household purposes within a residential situation.

There is a specific requirement on local authorities to meter and charge for all non-domestic water supplied and there is no discretion for exceptions because there is no other source of funding.   As is the case with other utilities,  there is no option to waive water charges.  However,  unlike private utility suppliers,  no profit may be made on the service.

It is also hoped that consumers will be conscious of the water they use and will try and conserve water which is a valuable and finite resource.  A lot of water is wasted through taps not being turned off when not in use and through leakages in taps and pipes.  Charging by volume is in accordance with the application of the “Polluter Pays” Principle and the EU Water Framework Directive (2000/60/EC).

Who bills for non-domestic water?

The relevant Local Authority bills for non-domestic water. Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County council will bill for its area.

How is it charged?

THere is an annual standing charge for the available of the service plus a volume charge based on the volume of water used.

Who decides how much I pay?

The charge for water supply and for wastewaster collection and treatment is based on the actual cost of providing the service. Water supplies are metered to the maximum practicable extent and bills are based on this information.

How will I benefit from a water meter?

Water charges are now based on an annual standing charge plus a charge based on the volume used - the less water used, the less you pay. The metering system provides information regarding water usage and will alert the customers and Local Authorities to possible leaks. It may be worthwhile for customers to examine current water usage with a view to economising and conserving water where possible - further advice is available online at www.taptips.ie/at-work.htm . Commercial rates no longer contribute to water services funding.

Where are water meters installed?

In the majority of cases the meters and meter reading equipment is located externally and as close to the property boundary as possible.  However in some cases, due to services congestion or limited space, meters have to be installed internally within the premises.

How do I read my water meter?
Information on Reading your Water Meter (pdf -404kb) PDF Icon PDF 404 KB
If there is a leak, who is responsible?

The customer is responsible for all leaks downstream of the meter; responsibility extends to payment for all water measured by the meter and location and repair of leaks.

In the majority of circumstances, the council is responsible for leaks upstream or at the customer’s meter. The exception is where it has been necessary to install a meter within a customers premises. In this case, the customer is responsible for leaks upstream of the meter as far as the premises boundary or stopcock in the public area.

In the exceptional circumstance where the meter to customer pipe junction is leaking downstream of the meter, the council may be responsible for the repair of the leak and attributable water usage. Where there is reason to suspect that this is the case, the council will excavate to inspect this junction on payment of a deposit of €750. This deposit and water usage attributable to the leak will be refunded or credited against water charges only where the joint is found to be leaking. Where the connection pipe from the meter to the customer boundary is found to be leaking, the responsibility for water usage rests with the customer as above but the repair will be carried out by the council on the customer’s behalf, the repair cost being set against the deposit. 

What happens if there is a business within a home?

If it is not practicable to separately meter the non-domestic usage, a domestic allowance will be applied and deducted from the metered volume of water supplied.

How often will I receive my bill?

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council issues three bills a year.

Who do I contact if I have a query with my bill?

You should contact Water Charges section, Finance Department, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, County Hall, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin or by the following methods:

Phone:              (01) 204 7074 
FAX:                (01) 280 5581

e-mail:           watercharges@dlrcoco.ie

website:         www.dlrcoco.ie

How can I pay my water charges?

You can pay your water charges by the following methods

By Bank Giro transfer
A Bank Giro will be attached to your bill.

By Post
Cheques, Postal Orders or Money Orders

In person
At the Council’s Offices by cheque. 

Cash is not accepted at the Council's offices in County Hall or Dundrum. Also, cash should not be sent through the post.


My drains are blocked. What can I do?

The owner of the property is responsible for the drain all the way to the Council's main sewer, even where the drain runs over a public space, e.g. over the path and/no over the road. When called out, the Council Inspector will be able to locate the site of the blockage by examining the Council's sewer manholes. If the Council's sewer is clear, this means the blockage is in the private drain of the house/houses. In that case, the owner of the house should find a suitable company to clear the blockage. Click on Private Drain Maintenance for more information.  


Summary of Water Charges for 2014
 Charge Description Water onlyWaste-water only Water & Waste-water 
Metered Water/Wastewater services  - per cubic metre €1.04 €1.24 €2.28
 Metered Mixed SuppliesGeneral Domestic Allowance per residential unit:
  • 165 mper annum
  • 55 m3 per four month bill
Per Capita Domestic Allowance (Residential Institutions):
  • 51 mper qualifying person per annum
  • 17 mper person per four month bill
Standing Charge – per four month bill Up to 1” or 25mm  €53
  Up to 2” or 50mm   €95
  Up to 4” or 100mm   €195
  Up to 6” or 150mm   €250
  Up to 8” or 200mm   €330
  Up to 10” or 250mm  €495
 Special Read Charge  €150



(Water charges will be based on metered quantities at the unit rates shown in the table above, plus Annual Standing Charge.  Fixed or estimated charges on some customers may apply where metering problems arise.)

Why is there no water supply to my house?

The water could be turned off to facilitate the repair of a burst watermain in your area.  Check with your neighbours to see if they have water. If your neighbours have a water supply, it could mean there's an internal problem within your own property, therefore you would need to source a plumber to check your system.

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council