Waste Charges

Does Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council provide a waste collection service?

The Council ceased providing a waste collection service in 2010.  Residents in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown administrative area are now responsible for making their own arrangements to dispose of refuse by engaging the services of a permitted private refuse collecgtor and/or using the recycling and disposal facilities provided by the Council at bottle banks, Ballyogan Recycling Park, Ballyogan Road, Dublin 18 and at Eden Park, Glasthule,  and Shanganagh Recycling Centres.

I have an agreement with the Council to pay my waste charge arrears. What happens now?

Please continue to pay your arrears as normal.

What happens if I have waste charge arrears with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

If your account is in arrears and you do not already have an agreement with the Council, please contact any member of the Waste Charges team at telephone (01) 205 4747 or e-mail charges@dlrcoco.ie to clear arrears or to set up a formal agreement to pay the arrears by instalment.

If I do not pay the waste charge arrears, what happens?

The Council will actively pursue all outstanding balances. Unpaid balances will remain due and payable to the Council.  In the event of any future payment being made to you by the Council, the unpaid balance may be offset against the payment.

Who do I contact in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council if I have further questions?

Account Queries can be directed to the Council’s Waste Charges section on (01) 205 4747. Or by e-mail to charges@dlrcoco.ie.

Who will take over the operation of the service?

The Council is in the process of appointing Panda as the waste services provider for its existing customers. In return Panda have undertaken to provide a ‘grey’ and a ‘green’ bin service (starting on the week commencing 26 July 2010) together with a new ‘brown’ bin service (starting in December 2010) to all existing Council customers at a very competitive price.

Will the new service cost me more?

The service will be free for six months (from 26 July to 31 January 2011) to all domestic households who currently avail of the Council’s waste service.
The charges (fixed, lift and weight) to be applied from 1 February 2011 will be 20% below the charges currently applied by the Council for all customers. These charges will be held at this level until at least 2014.

What do I need to do now?

You do not need to do anything. The Council will transfer some of your details (i.e. name, address, waiver status - if applicable - and bin details only) to Panda. No other details relating to your account with the Council will be supplied. Panda will continue to provide the bin service on the normal collection days in your area and they will contact you in due course.

I don't want to move to Panda. What do I do now?

If you do NOT consent to your details being forwarded to Panda in order for them to provide you with a bin service you must complete, sign and return the Opt Out form, which must reach Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council no later than 20 July 2010 using either:

  • Letter Post to: Waste Management Section, Level 3, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Marine Road, Dún Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
  • Fax: (01) 230 0125
  • Scan and email to bincollection@dlrcoco.ie 
    If you do NOT want to move to Panda, you should make your own arrangements with an alternative authorised waste collector to collect your household waste and contact the Waste Section in the Council on (01) 205 4810 who will arrange to remove your ‘grey’ and ‘green’ bin.
When do I get my final bill from Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council?

Council customers will get their final bill as soon as practicable after the Council exits the service.

The Council has suspended my service due to arrears on my account - will my account details(i.e. name, address, waiver status - if applicable - and bin details only) be transferred to Panda?

As you are no longer a customer of the Council, your details will not be supplied. If you wish to avail of the Panda offer, contact Waste Charges in the Council as soon as possible to regularise your account.

I have an agreement with the Council to pay my arrears. What happens now?

Please continue to pay your arrears as normal.

If I do not pay the arrears, what happens?

The council will actively pursue all outstanding balances. Legal proceedings for the recovery of the debt together with associated costs may be initiated. In the event of a decree being granted against you, your credit rating could be affected in the future.

I get a waiver of the Council's Annual standing charge. Will the new service provider give me a waiver?

Panda will honour Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council’s Waiver Scheme (including hardship clause). Existing customers who do not currently have a waiver, and whose circumstances change, can apply to Panda.

I have unused bag labels, what do I do with them?

Return them to Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council (Waste Charges, Finance and Risk Management Department), County Hall, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin for a refund

If I am a commercial customer, what will my charges be?

Charges for commercial customers will be at least 20% below the Council's current charges. Panda will be in touch with commercial customers in due course to confirm these charges.

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council