Apply for a Home

Am I eligible for social housing?
  • You must either live in the area or have a connection to the area
  • You must have a need for housing
  • You must have a legal right to remain in Ireland on a long-term basis
  • You must not own alternative accommodation which could be occupied or sold and the proceeds used to secure other suitable accommodation
  • Your net income must be below the thresholds listed:

Single Adult



2 Adults



1 adult, 1 child



1 adult, 2 children



1 adult, 3 children



2 adults, 1 child



2 adults, 2 children



2 adults, 3 children



2 adults, €4 children



3 adults, €4+ children






Extra €1,000 per additional child (2.5% of €40,000 no maximum)

Extra €2,000 per extra adult (5% of €40,000) capped at a maximum of 10%


What areas can HAP tenants be HAP'd into from Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council?

Should you find a private rental property in the jurisdiction of any other Local Authority in Ireland, you can receive a HAP payment for that property through Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council. This will only apply should your total annual net income not exceed the income limit set out in that jurisdiction.

If you are unsure what the income limits in any Local Authority are, you can contact that Local Authority directly for clarification.

Am I eligible to apply for HAP?

Persons applying for HAP must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply. For more information on applying for social housing please click here.

Can I apply for a rent review?

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2021, states that rent increases in an RPZ cannot exceed general inflation as recorded by the Harmonised Index of Consumer Price (HICP).
RAS landlords are strongly advised to use the RTB Rent Pressure Zone Calculator to calculate any rent increase due and to ensure that the maximum rent increase allowed is not exceeded.  RAS landlords are still required to give 90 days’ notice for a rent review in a RAS property.

On what dates are payments made to the Landlord?

All rent payments to the landlord are made electronically on the last Wednesday of every month.

How do I apply for a rent review on my property?

RAS landlords are required to give 90 days’ notice for a rent review of a RAS property. Landlords can complete the Notice of Rent Review form available on the RTB website and submit it to the RAS section at .

What is the HAP Transfer List?

HAP recipients move off the councils main Social Housing Waiting list onto the HAP Transfer List, retaining their time built up while on the original list. 

The HAP transfer list runs side by side with the Social Housing Waiting list and will receive a precentage of dwelling allocations provided by the councl.

Issuing Notice to Quit

In the event of Notice to Quit being served the guidelines are on the RTB website . They must be issued in writing and according to the time outlined according to length of tenancy. This applies to Landlords and Tenants.


What are the rent caps for the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)?


One Adult in Shared Accommodation

A Couple in Shared Accommodation

One Adult

A Couple

One Adult or Couple with one child

One Adult or Couple with two children

One Adult or Couple with three children

DLR HAP rent Limits








The above are the contribution amounts Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council will pay to the landlord on your behalf. Should the rent your landlord requires exceed these figures, you can add the difference yourself to meet the monthly rent. Please note this is subject to the monthly difference you pay to the landlord added to the monthly rent contribution you pay to Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council being less than 30% of your households total monthly net income. Payments in excess of 30% of the households net monthly income will be deemed by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council to be unaffordable to the household.

Should your current circumstances not equate to any of the above, please call us to discuss your situation on 01-2054399

Standard of Accommodation

The accommodation must be in accordance with the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019.


As a Landlord will HAP affect my relationship with the tenant?

No. The contract will be a private contract between the tenant and the landlord. The HAP tenant is the landlords tenant and not a tenant of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council

What do I do when there is a problem with my property?

If you have a maintenance issue in your property, you must contact your landlord in the first instance. It is the responsibility of the landlord as owner of the property to carry out any repairs to the property. It is the responsibility of the Tenant to maintain the property in a responsible manner and the Landlord should be notified of any issues that may require attention.


What Areas can HAP tenants be HAP'd into from Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council?


[[{"fid":"192254","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","alignment":"","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":false,"field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":false},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{"format":"default","alignment":"","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":false,"field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":false}},"attributes":{"class":"media-element file-default","data-delta":"1"}}]]

How do I clear my HHAP arrears?
  1. Online at
  2. By phone with Hap Limerick on 061 556 600
  3. Get a Hap Bill Pay Card. HAP Bill Pay Card (issued within 10 days of start day) in any Post Office or any shop displaying the sign to pay your weekly rent. Your local PostPoint shop can be located on


How do I get an update on my HHAP application?

HHAP paperwork and payments are processed by Parkgate Hall. See contact details below:

Phone: 01 222 6955


Address: Parkgate Hall, Homeless Hap, 6-9 Conyngham Road, Dublin 8


Why become a HAP landlord?

[[{"fid":"192386","view_mode":"default","fields":{"format":"default","alignment":"","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":false,"field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":"5 Reasons to become a HAP Landlord"},"type":"media","field_deltas":{"1":{"format":"default","alignment":"","field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]":false,"field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]":"5 Reasons to become a HAP Landlord"}},"attributes":{"title":"5 Reasons to become a HAP Landlord","class":"media-element file-default","data-delta":"1"}}]]

I am a Homeless HAP tenant already and my income has changed, what do I do?

If you are already a Homeless HAP tenant and your income has changed, you will need to send proof of your new income (new payslips or confirmation of social welfare payment) and proof of the date that your income changed in order to adjust your differential rent. If you have lost employment or your hours have been reduced, please contact your local Intreo office to avail of a social welfare payment. Once you have proof of your new income please post the documentation to Park Gate Hall, 6-9 Conyngham Road, Dublin 8 or email

How do I apply for Traveller Specific Accommodation?

It is Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council’s policy  to provide Traveller Specific Accommodation for the county’s indigenous Travelling Community.  If you wish to apply for Traveller Specific Accommodation, you can contact the Traveller Accommodation unit at 01 2054700 or email

Why become a HAP tenant?
  • HAP allows recipients to take up full-time employment, while still receiving housing support
  • The rent contribution payable by the HAP recipient will be based on the differential rent scheme for their local authority. This scheme links the rent contribution a household must pay to the household income and the ability to pay
  • HAP will help to regulate the private rental sector and improve standards of accommodation. Properties will be inspected to make sure that they meet the required standards
  • HAP recipients will be able to avail of other social housing supports and options, if they so choose
  • Local authorities will be responsible for all housing supports in their area.
I am privately renting but at risk of becoming homeless.

If you are in private rented accommodation and at risk of becoming homeless, you should contact Threshold. Their details are below.

Threshold Dublin Advice Centre, 21 Stoneybatter, Dublin 7. 
Tenancy Protection Service-National Helpline (Mon-Fri 9-9): 1800 454 454. 
Office Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9.30-5pm 
For more details see: Threshold- Get Advice


Who do I contact regarding repairs?

Tenants of Grouped housing and Halting site bays may contact the Traveller Accommodation Unit at 01 2054838 or email  Tenants are advised to consult their Tenant Handbook prior to contacting the Traveller Accommodation Unit.

Why become a HAP landlord?

For landlords/agents:

  • The landlord or their agent will receive prompt payments directly from the local authority on a monthly basis, subject to the HAP recipient paying the local authority their rent contribution.  All payments will be made electronically; there will be no need for rent collection from tenants who are HAP recipients leading to administrative savings for landlords
  • Landlords who rent to tenants in receipt of social housing supports like the housing assistance payment (HAP) may avail of increased tax relief under a new scheme from 1 January 2016.  The new scheme will allow property owners to claim 100 per cent relief on their mortgage interest, as an expense against rental income. Further information is also available from the Revenue Commissioners on
I'm under 18, what do I do?

The Health Service Executive (HSE) will help you if you’re under 18 years. If you’re homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless go to your local Area Health Office and a social worker will help you. If that office is closed, for example it’s after 17.00, go to the local Garda Station and they’ll contact the on-duty social worker who will arrange emergency accommodation for you.

What is the purpose of the dlr Traveller Interagency Steering Group?

The dlr Traveller Interagency Steering Group is set up to co-ordinate services by all agencies that provide services to the Traveller Community. It is representative of manages in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdwon County Council, Housing Service Executive, Garda, Department of Education, Department of Social Protection, VEC and County Development Board.

What should a tenant do if they miss a rent payment to HAP?

If for whatever reason, when HAP apply to your bank account for payment and you have insufficient funds in your account to meet the payment.

Don't panic! HAP will retry in three days to collect the monies from your account. (Do not use your payment card in the Post Office to pay until after HAP try a second time to collect the money from your account)

(Should you use your payments card before the second attempt for payment from your bank account, you may double pay for that week.

To avoid disappointment, please ensure you have sufficient funds in your account to meet your payment. 

There has been a change to my family size. What do I do?

You need to contact the Local Authority you are registered with and inform them of the change in your circumstances and get a letter/ email confirming that your application has been adjusted. Send this to Homeless HAP Section, Parkgate Hall, 6-9 Conyngham Road, Dublin 8 or

Who do I contact regarding illegal encampment in a public area?

Notify the Traveller Accommodation Unit at 01 2054838 or email

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council does not have the remit to remove illegal encampments from private property.  Illegal encampments on private property are a matter for the landowner.

Why does my property need to be inspected by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council?
Residential rental properties must provide safe, efficient, durable, comfortable and environmentally sustainable homes for those who live in them. They must also be solid, stable and secure investments for those who own them.

The high levels of demand for a limited supply of rented accommodation, which is driving high rates of rent price inflation in some parts of the country, also constitutes a threat to the quality of rented accommodation as tenants may feel obliged to accept substandard dwellings, due to the lack of affordable alternatives. In this context, the role of Housing Authorities have a critical public role and duty in ensuring compliance with the standards for rental accommodation through effective inspections.

What do I need to bring with me for the Homeless assessment?

You will need to bring a form of photo identification i.e. passport; driver’s license etc., proof of income and proof of homelessness (i.e: a sworn affidavit, NTQ verified by Threshold, etc.)

Who represents the Travelling Community?

The Traveller Accommodation Unit works in conjunction with the Local Traveller Accommodation Consultative Committee representative of County Councillors, Travellers and Traveller Representatives as required under the Housing (Traveller) Accommodation Act 1998. This Committee advise the Council on all matters relating to travellers and in particular their housing needs.

Link to LTACC

Link to STAG

Will HAP tenants be able to access other housing supports?


HAP reciepients have access to other social housing supports offered by local authorities, such as local authority housing.

What does the Homeless assessment involve?

The Initial Assessment involves:

  • Establishing identity;

  • Establishing accommodation history i.e. confirming where you last lived and when, particularly your last permanent address;

  • Establishing support & need for temporary emergency accommodation;

  • Establishing if you are registered or eligible to register with a local authority for social housing support.

Housing Areas

You may apply to one Local Authority only. If you are applying to us you can choose up to three housing areas in the Dublin region, at least one of which must be in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.

Your other two areas may be in Dublin City, South Dublin County or Fingal County. If you opt for an area in any other county, we will forward your information to that local authority. We will manage your application.  You can make changes to your areas of choice once in any twelve-month period by completing Area of Choice Form.

Who will pay the security deposit to the landlord?

The tenant is responsible for paying any security deposit a landlord may require. The local authority will not pay the security deposit for you. 

Should you have difficulty in paying the security deposit, you may qualify for an "Exceptional Needs Payment" from The Department of Social Protection at

Who do I contact for advice on social welfare entitlements?

You should contact the Department of Social Protection’s, Homeless Persons Unit (HPU). The HPU provides payments under the Supplementary Welfare Allowance Scheme and offers advice on your social welfare entitlements. 

  • Men – Phone 1800 724 724. For more information seeHomeless Persons Unit Men
  • Women and families – Phone 1800 724 724. For more information see, Homeless Persons Unit (Women and Families)
  • Not from Ireland (includes Asylum Seekers, Refugees and persons from EU Accession countries) – Phone 01 858 5100 or access the service directly on 77 Upper Gardiner Street, Dublin 1 from 10am- 11.30am, 2pm to 3.30pm.
How long will it take before I get offered housing?

Unfortunately this cannot be determined.  

Do I have to sign my property over to the Local Authority when I take in a tenant in receipt of the HAP scheme

No. Your property will remain your property and will not be signed over to the Local Authority when you take in a tenant in receipt of the HAP scheme. The agreement between the landlord, tenant and the property will not differ from how the private rental market currently operates. 

How do I apply for a rent review?

RAS landlords are required to give 90 days’ notice for a rent review of a RAS property. Landlords can complete the Notice of Rent Review form available on the RTB website and submit it to the RAS section at . 

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council