Heritage Week 2022
National Heritage Week celebrates all things heritage!
It brings together communities, families, organisations, cultural institutions, academics and enthusiasts, to build awareness about the value of heritage and support its conservation.
This year, many organisations and individuals across Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and nearby counties have organised events, talks and walks – here is a selection of what’s on locally this week.
Events taking place in dlr include:
• Tour of Rathmichael Parish Church
• Airfield’s Hedgerow Scavenger Hunt: Discover the Hidden World of Hedgerows
• Tours of the National Folklore Collection
• Citizen Science River Workshop
• Women In the Medieval World: Patrons, Reformers and Commanders
• Coastal Clean
• Visit the Genealogical Society of Ireland Archives
• Textile Roots - Ireland's Textile Heritage
• Living History Tours at Dalkey Castle
• Maeve Binchy & Irish Writers Guided Walk
• Beekeeping Workshop
• Self-guided tours for adults: monuments, windows, the organ, local history, Monkstown Schoolhouse restoration project and fun treasure hunts for children.
• Summer of Heritage 2022
• Monkstown Tree Trail Sunday
• Monkstown Tree Trail Self Guided Walk - Wednesday
• Monkstown Tree Trail Self Guided Walk - Sunday
• Monkstown Tree Trail Wednesday
• Airfield’s Grand Dames of Irish Motoring: Letitia Overend and her iconic 1927 Rolls-Royce. Show and tell - Rolls-Royce refurbishments.
• Tour of Unique Church in Blackrock
• Minibeasts of Mount Merrion on Wild Child Day 2022
• Tour of the outside of the Rathdown Union Workhouse and up to the Workhouse graveyard
You can also explore what’s on right across the country here.
National Heritage Week is co-ordinated by the Heritage Council as part of European Heritage Days – a joint initiative of the Council of Europe and the European Union in which more than 40 countries participate each year. The main aim of European Heritage Days is to promote awareness of our built, natural and cultural heritage and to promote Europe’s common cultural heritage.
National Heritage Week is supported by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Fáilte Ireland, the Irish Landmark Trust, the Local Authority Water Programme and the Office of Public Works. At the county level, National Heritage Week is co-ordinated and supported by local authority heritage officers, their colleagues and with numerous local heritage groups and organisations. Supporting partners include RTÉ Supporting the Arts and The Irish Times.