Taking in Charge

Building Control Contact Information

Senior Executive Engineer
Building Control
Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council
County Hall,
Marine Road,
Dún Laoghaire,
County Dublin. 

Tel: 01 204 7957
Email: buildingcontrol@dlrcoco.ie


The Planning Department's Building Control section is responsible for the enforcement of the Building Control Acts 1990 & 2007, and Regulations made under these Acts, which it does through regular monitoring and inspections of developments. 

Building Control is also responsible for the inspection of developments prior to the statutory taking in charge procedure, to ensure our standards are met.

Taking in Charge Process

When a residential development is completed in accordance with all the conditions and particulars of the planning permission, the developer may make a written request to the Planning and Organisational Innovation Department to have the estate taken in charge (roads and services). The application may be made using the our taking in charge application form which is at the end of this page. 

Most of the new developments are private and will be managed by a Management Company, except in some cases the main roads and some open space within the development may be for taking in charge and in these cases the responsibility for maintaining these rest with the County Council. 

The fee for issuing a certificate confirming Taking in Charge or not by the Council is €125.

Development Works Guidance

Our requirements in respect of roads, services including lighting and open space is set out in the Development Works Guidance Document. This document has been produced by Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council for the purpose of setting out requirements for site development works and providing guidance to developers undertaking development works within the County area. Outlining the Council's requirements in respect of roads, services including street lighting and open spaces. 


The document also provides guidance on the standards and technical specification for site development works outside the curtilage of the private site dwelling area.  Generally, the standard of works to be done within the curtilage of the private dwelling area is regulated by the Building Control Acts, 1990 and 2007.

Please note that items 6 and 7 of the Development Works Guidance Document no longer apply to current developments.

Taking In Charge Policy Guidance Documents
Taking in Charge Policy for Residential Developments - May 2022
649.68 KB
Other file
Taking in Charge Development Standards Guidance Document
3.09 MB
Other file

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council