For further information please contact the Secretariat Section at or 01 2054826


Archives only come alive when they are open and accessible to all. We must treasure them and preserve them for future generations

(Ban Ki-Moon, then Secretary-General of The United Nations, June 2011)

dlr Archive Services is based in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire, and fulfils the statutory function (established in the Local Government Acts of 1994 and 2001) of the proper management, custody, care and conservation of local  records and local archives and making these publicly accessible. The section is responsible for all the documentary heritage of the county.

The archival holdings consist chiefly of the Council Minutes, and related records, of the 4 Townships that were amalgamated to form Dún Laoghaire Corporation – Blackrock, Dalkey, Killiney and Kingstown/Dún Laoghaire. They are chiefly bound volumes  with handwritten entries. The section is also responsible for documents relating to Marlay Park, Cabinteely House and Fernhill, and the former Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company. Only catalogued material is publicly accessible.

Visiting  dlr Archive Services is unlike a visit to a library. Browsing is not permitted and only one item may be used at a time, so it is important to use the listing provided to identify which volumes are required and to order them in advance. Visits are strictly by appointment only. Readers must read and agree to abide by the Readers’ Rules and to complete and submit a Reader Application form prior to their visit.

Opening hours are Tuesday-Friday, 9am – 12pm. Please note that these may be subject to change without notice.

For further information and to arrange appointments, please contact:

Georgina Sweetnam (please put Archive Services in the subject line)
Tel: (01) 205 4743

For further information and to arrange appointments, please contact Georgina Sweetnam or email (please put Archive Services in the subject line)
Tel: (01) 205 4743

We care about your feedback. Have your say.

Is this page useful?

Any concerns with your local area?

Report a problem with the Council