Kathleen King Exhibition: Dalkey Diary from Easter 1916
This exhibition is based on a diary written by 22 year old Kathleen King (née Murphy) (1893-1978) of Mount Salus Road, Dalkey during the 1916 Rising. It was found recently by her family amongst her collection of photos, letters, playbills and memorabilia. Kathleen moved in the same circles as Thomas and John MacDonagh, Joseph Plunkett, Edward Martyn and Máire Nic Shiubhlaigh and she was a staunch supporter of the cause for Irish independence. She married Dr Edward King in 1918 who went on to become the first Medical Officer appointed by the new Sinn Féin government. Kathleen was a prominent member of An Taisce in the 1950s and became one of Ireland’s leading bryologists.
Produced by dlr Libraries with support from dlr Heritage Office and based on the loan of material from the extended King family in Dalkey.
Christ the King Exhibition
In May 2015, dlr LexIcon’s Local Studies Department was contacted by Jeremy Kenny regarding an archive of information containing letters, newspaper cuttings, booklets and photographs relating to the Christ the King sculpture by the much celebrated sculptor Andrew O’Connor (1874-1941), now situated in the grounds of dlr LexIcon. Jeremy’s grandfather, Edward J. Kenny and his father Edmond A. Kenny were instrumental in the preservation and eventual installation of this sculpture at Haigh Terrace in December 1978. Edward was a solicitor and kept extensive files outlining the gestation and context of the project and these files add a great deal to what was to become an intriguing story of cultural and clerical politics spanning almost half a century from the early 1930s to the late 1970s. It was in Edward’s backyard of his house on Rochestown Avenue that the sculpture was stored for many years due to a stalemate situation regarding its proposed site. dlr LexIcon’s Local Studies staff and colleagues in UCD’s School of History: MA in Archives and Records Management Programme formed a partnership to produce this exhibition and a detailed online version which can be found at http://lexiconexhib.omeka.net
Produced by dlr Libraries in partnership with UCD’s School of History: MA Archives and Records Management, based on an archive donated by the Kenny family.
Edward Lee Exhibition
Edward Lee was a businessman who, in the 1880s built a chain of drapery shops in Bray, Kingstown, Rathmines and Dublin. He was recognized for his caring attitude towards his employees and was credited with introducing the weekly half-day holiday to Ireland in 1889. He also had a strong social conscience. During the 1913 Lockout, he disagreed with the tactics used by William Martin Murphy and other employers against the strikers. Edward and his wife Annie had nine children but only four sons survived into adulthood and the Great War took a terrible toll on the family. The Lee family lived for many years in The Grange, Stillorgan and later in Bellevue, Blackrock. An associated book written by Edward Lee’s great-grandson Michael Lee, entitled Edward Lee: Model Employer and Man of Moral Courage, is available in all dlr libraries and bookshops. Price €10.
Produced by dlr Libraries in partnership with Michael Lee and the extended Lee family.