Status message

Maintenance and Repairs to your Council Home
Intro Text 

The Housing Maintenance Section is responsible for managing, repairing and controlling the Council’s rented  housing.

If you are a tenant in a Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown Council dwelling  you are responsible for certain general, internal, external, electrical and plumbing works. Your Tenants Handbook gives you a full list of the repairs that the Council will carry out and a full list of the repairs that you, as a Council Tenant must take care of yourself. 

Please find a copy of your Tenants Handbook in the Related Links and Documents Section and Helpful advice on the following:

a) Airlocks

b) Prevention of Condensation & Mould

c) Preparing for winter

To make a repair request:

Call the Maintenance Section on Telephone: 01-2054700 and follow the instructions during office hours.

If you have an emergency after 5pm or at the weekend, please ring the Out of Hours Service No: 01- 6778844.

The emergency number is for emergencies only – Please do not use this number to log routine maintenance complaints as you may be liable for a call-out charge for non-emergency calls.

Note: Tenants who are over 12 weeks in Rent Arrears will only have urgent or emergency repairs carried out to their home. 

How long will it take for repairs to be carried out?

The Council aims to respond to requests for repairs according to the guidelines below

1)     Emergency

Smoking Fuse Board, Tiles falling off roof

These complaints take 1-3 working days to complete.

2)     Urgent

Leak under sink unit, overflow pipe leaking.

These complaints take 10 working days to complete.

3)     Routine

Replace Fire Cheeks, replace toilet cistern.

These complaints can take up to 12 weeks to complete.

4)     Cyclical

External painting.

Set by a programme of works for planned maintenance.


If you smell gas call the Gas Networks Ireland 24hr Emergency service number on;

1850 20 50 50  

The Council will only carry out repairs to your heating system if you are paying the maintenance charge on your rent account. This charge includes a boiler service.

Installation of Pay As You Go Energy Meters:

All tenants should note that in accordance with the tenancy agreement written application must be made to the Council for permission to have the above type or any meter change made. All energy suppliers require proof of written confirmation from the County Council before a meter change.

Can I make alterations to my home?

If you want to make alterations to your home, you must first apply in writing to the Housing Maintenance Section for permission to carry out works. You may also need planning permission for certain works or alterations such as putting in a driveway.