Speaking at the launch of the 2022, dlr Festival of Inclusion, Councillor Mary Hanafin, Cathaoirleach said
“I am delighted that the dlr Festival of Inclusion returns again this year with a host of community events promoting and celebrating diversity and inclusion in dlr. I would encourage everyone to get involved in the events taking place in their own locality and to take the opportunity to participate in the many activities organised by dozens of groups and organisations that highlight the diversity of communities and cultures living in our county. I look forward to attending many of the events in the dlr Festival of Inclusion and experiencing many of the diverse cultures in our county”.
‘Promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown’ is the overall festival theme this year. The festival will run from Thursday 29th September with events running up to the 5th November with dozens of organisations and community groups hosting activities, coffee mornings, cultural programmes, entertainment, exhibitions, music, open days, performances, information sessions and talks, as well as free training, workshops and much more across Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown. Join us and be part of the dlr Festival of Inclusion 2022!
See full programme of events and all information at: https://events.dlrcoco.ie/event/dlr-festival-inclusion-2022
dlr Festival of Inclusion 2022 highlights include:
• ‘Autumn Medley of Creativity’ - a day of free Age-Friendly entertainment, drama, dance, music, craft workshops and information on the creative opportunities available to older people in the county & free refreshments, Thursday 29th September, 11 – 2p.m in dlr LexIcon, Dún Laoghaire
• dlr Leisure offering free ‘Fit for All’ classes in Loughlinstown Leisure Centre, 10a.m & Meadowbrook Leisure Centre, 12p.m, Thursday 29th September, drop in, no booking required
• Rosemount Family Resource Centre free Chair Yoga session followed by refreshments for 55+, all welcome, Friday 30th September, 11-1p.m
• UN International Day of Older Persons events on the 1st October celebrating the resilience & contributions of older women, including Dance Theatre of Ireland performances in Cabinteely Park (12p.m), People’s Park (2p.m), Moran Park (4p.m) & ‘Movie Memories & Community Lunch’ hosted by Women’s Collective Ireland, Dún Laoghaire (formerly SWAN), from 10.15a.m in 57 Ennel Court, Loughlinstown.
• Panel Discussion on the UN International Day of Older Persons theme, entitled “Invisible lives: where are all the older women in film and TV?” organised by the Institute of Art, Design+Technology (IADT) with Dr Susan Liddy, Mary Immaculate College, renowned actors Carrie Crowley & Rosemary Henderson, Rebecca Roper, IADT & Councillor Mary Hanafin, Cathaoirleach, 13th October, 12.30p.m, IADT Library, Kill Avenue – all welcome, booking on Eventbrite
• Acting Skills & Development Workshop organised by Mary Mc Productions, 3-5p.m with Mary McDonagh, Martin Mahon & Thomas Connors followed by performance at 7.30p.m of “Beginning of the Journey” by emerging actors from the Traveller Community, Monday 3rd October, Studio Theatre, dlr LexIcon
• New Day Service in Ailt an Óir, Independent Living, Glenageary and taking referrals - open Tuesday’s to Friday’s from 10.30am to 3.30pm, activity programme & 3 Course Lunch, €10 per day. Info: 01 2844066
• Ukrainian Photography Exhibition “United” - launch in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire by Ukrainian Ambassador Larysa Gerasko, Tuesday 4th October and on display in County Hall until Tuesday 11th October and in dlr LexIcon from 13th October – 4th November
• ‘Self-Employment & Start Your Own Business Bootcamp’ with Southside Travellers Action Group, 4th October, 10-1p.m, organised by Southside Partnership DLR
• "Samplers, Sewing & Simplicity in Quaker Ireland" - Book launch by Clodagh Grubb, 5th October at 6.00p.m in dlr LexIcon Library
• Southside Partnership DLR, Women 4 Women Network, Multicultural women’s breakfast event, 6th October from 10a.m in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire, all women welcome!
• Autism awareness and family support sessions with ‘ASFAN’ - Autism Support & Family Advocacy Network, Thursday 6th October from 7 – 8p.m and on Wednesday 12th October, 11-12p.m in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire
• Free online public training on Introduction to Diversity & Inclusion (6th October, 12.30-1.30p.m); LGBTI+ Awareness (11th October, 12.30-1.30p.m) and Cultural Awareness (18th October, 12.30-1.30p.m) organised by the Social Inclusion Unit & Training Department, dlr County Council and Active participation for people with disabilities webinar event organised by Enable Ireland & Shanganagh Community Gardens & Allotments / Poly Tunnel (13th October, 11 – 12.30p.m).
• Open evening in Presbyterian Church Hall, York Road, Dún Laoghaire, of the Dublin Scottish Country Dancers. All Welcome, 6th October, 8.00p.m – 10.30p.m
• dlr Community 5K in Kilbogget Park, 8th October, 2p.m – registration beforehand recommended on Eventbrite, all the community welcome, a fantastic family event!
• Free Music in the Parks, including ‘Sweet Memories’ - Living Well with Dementia Choir, Rathfarnham Ukulele Group (RUGS) & SuperTones Children’s Choir in Marlay Park, Sunday 9th October & Dew Drops Indian Drumming, Sandyford Youth Band & Blackrock Ukulele Group in Blackrock Park, Sunday 16th October, 2-4p.m – all welcome! weather permitting!
• Dún Laoghaire Men’s Shed, Glenageary Road Lower welcoming new members during October - Mon, Wed, Friday’s: 2 – 5p.m; Tues & Thursday’s: 10a.m – 1p.m
• Comhlámh workshop – ‘Where do I start? - Journeys in Global Citizenship - workshop on getting involved in action for global justice, 11th October, 6.30p.m, Blackrock Library
• DLR Social Prescribing & SOS Suicide or Survive, Wellness Workshop — Understanding and Taking Charge of Your Mental Health, Sallynoggin Youth & Community Facility, 13th October, 10a.m – 4p.m.
• Afternoon Disco organised by Southside Partnership, in the Scouts Den, Ballybrack Project Centre for adults with learning disabilities, 13th October, 12 – 2p.m
• Free ‘Web Safety for Children’ talk by Cyber Safe Kids, dlr LexIcon Library, 6.30p.m, 13th October & ongoing lending of digital devices & digital support available from dlr Libraries.
• Ciorcal Comhrá, Shankill Irish language group open coffee morning, 14th October, 11 – 12p.m, Shanganagh Park House, Fáilte mhór roimh chách, All welcome
• RehabCare concert in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire, 14th October, 11a.m celebrating the immense beauty of nature in song, stories and poetry
• dlr Integration Forum, ‘Salute our Health Hereos’ event, Friday 14th October, 2p.m, dlr LexIcon Library, Dún Laoghaire
• Sport Ireland, SportAbilityDay, 16th October, 11-3pm, National Indoor Arena, Blanchardstown – suitable for all people with disabilities to try new activities.
• Seminar & Advice session on how to lower energy bills and make a warmer, more comfortable and healthier home - organised by the Architects Department, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council as part of the Open House Dublin architecture festival programme, 11am to 1.30pm, Sunday 16th October in County Hall, Dún Laoghaire
• ‘Get Together Party’ – music, food, friends, all welcome, Beaufort Day Care Centre, Glasthule, 18th October, 2p.m – 3.30p.m
• Floristry/Gardening Workshop for Ukrainian Residents (families & children), 19th October 6.30 – 9p.m, Phonewatch, Sandyford Industrial Estate, Southside Partnership, all welcome.
• Social Enterprise Information Sessions, Southside Partnership, 20th October, 10 – 11.30a.m
• Muslim Sisters of Éire, free Coffee Morning of inclusion for the Elderly in Taney Parish Hall, Dundrum – in conjunction with the Community Gardaí, 20th October, 10:30 – 12:30 – all welcome
• Islamic Cultural Centre of Ireland, Clonskeagh – ‘Know your Neighbour’ event running from 21st – 24th October, 12 – 5p.m daily, all welcome!
• Fadó Fadó Storytelling Festival, 22nd – 28th October with a host of renowned story tellers performiong across dlr Libraries and visiting Day Care Centres in dlr
• Deepotsav - Diwali celebrations organised by UTSAV, An Cultúrlann, Belgrave Square, 22nd October from 11.30a.m & Social Space Ireland’s Diwali celebrations in St. Bridget’s Hall, Stillorgan, 5th November from 4 – 9p.m
• DLR Social Prescribing for Health & Wellbeing & dlr Sports Partnership - ‘Walk & Talk‘ session through Dún Laoghaire Town & participants will receive a hot beverage at the end & a small gift on the day. Booking is essential. 25th October, 11:15 - 12:30.
• Women’s Collective Ireland, Dún Laoghaire (formerly SWAN) craft workshop and lunch, Wednesday 26th October from 10.30a.m, 57 Ennel Court, Loughlinstown
• Shankill Library, Stretch & Meditation sessions, from 3 – 5p.m, Wednesday 26th October
• Dublin South FM, commissioned ‘Intergeneration’ radio programme on 28th October, 12.30p.m
• Call for participants for African portraits exhibition (email email@example.com) & dlr Africa Day Ambassador & Ola Majekodunmi visiting secondary schools in dlr during the festival
• dlr Older People’s Council supported events with older people’s groups and Day Care Centres hosting ‘Get to know you’ and ‘Drop in’ sessions across the county
• An Garda Síochána Community Gardaí initiatives across Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown during dlr Festival of Inclusion.
See full programme & event details at https://events.dlrcoco.ie/event/dlr-festival-inclusion-2022 and for more information on dlr Festival of Inclusion events 2022, contact:
Siobhán Nic Gaoithín, Social Inclusion Officer & Age-Friendly Programme Manager,
Community Section of dlr County Council on firstname.lastname@example.org / 01 205 4893.