Intro Text 

The Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) was introduced to provide homes for people with a long-term housing need.  This was available to people who were in receipt of a Rent Supplement, normally for more than 18 months.

This scheme is now closed to housing applicants. If you are a new applicant, you should think about applying for HAP.  

If you are a landlord interested in the scheme, please contact us, details below.

How does RAS work?

We make an agreement with the landlord to provide a home for a period-of-time. Then you, the landlord and us sign a Residential Tenancy Agreement. This three-way agreement works as follows:

• we pay the rent directly to your landlord each month,
• you and the landlord must maintain a relationship throughout your tenancy the same as a private rented tenancy,
• you pay us a weekly rent based on your household income under our Differential Rent Scheme.

All RAS tenancies fall under The Residential Tenancies Act. This offers you security and protection of your tenure from the Residential Tenancy Board. 

Contact us:  Call 01 2047008 or Email 


The Residential Tenancies Act, 2021, states that rent increases in an RPZ cannot exceed general inflation as recorded by the Harmonised Index of Consumer Price (HICP).
RAS landlords are strongly advised to use the RTB Rent Pressure Zone Calculator to calculate any rent increase due and to ensure that the maximum rent increase allowed is not exceeded.  RAS landlords are still required to give 90 days’ notice for a rent review in a RAS property.

RAS landlords are required to give 90 days’ notice for a rent review of a RAS property. Landlords can complete the Notice of Rent Review form available on the RTB website and submit it to the RAS section at . 

In the event of Notice to Quit being served the guidelines are on the RTB website . They must be issued in writing and according to the time outlined according to length of tenancy. This applies to Landlords and Tenants.


The accommodation must be in accordance with the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2019.


If you have a maintenance issue in your property, you must contact your landlord in the first instance. It is the responsibility of the landlord as owner of the property to carry out any repairs to the property. It is the responsibility of the Tenant to maintain the property in a responsible manner and the Landlord should be notified of any issues that may require attention.