Intro Text 

The Minimum Standards apply to all privately rented property that is currently let or available for letting. All landlords have a legal obligation to ensure that their rented properties comply with the regulations, which are the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2017 (full regulation can be viewed on www.irishstatutebook.ie)

What do the Minimum Standards cover – for more information on each Article, please click on the title link:

Article 5 - Structural Condition

Article 6 - Sanitary Facilities

Article 7 - Heating Facilities

Article 8 - Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry

Article 9 - Ventilation

Article 10 - Lighting

Article 11 Fire Safety

Article 12 Refuse Facilities

Article 13 Gas & Electricity

How are the Regulations enforced:

Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council  has a legal obligation under the above legislation to enforce the minimum standards and it does so by inspections - both estate based and random spot checks.

Inspections are done by Authorised Officers on behalf of the Council and may include Environmental Health Officers, Council staff or private contractors. All will carry ID and inspections are normally done on an appointment basis unless an emergency exists.

Please note, there is no legal requirement for the Council to notify a landlord of an inspection and there may be penalties  imposed for obstructing access or impeding an Authorised Officer in the course of their duty up to and including prosecution in the District Court.

Once an inspection is completed, the landlord will be notified in writing of any contraventions and given a timeframe to address them. All inspections are followed up by the Council and enforcement proceedings brought against cases of non-compliance.