DLR’s Covid-19 Response: Coastal Mobility Interventions
Construction update 17/7/20:
Phase 1: Newtown Avenue to Brighton Vale
Phase 1 of the scheme is completed with the exception of the signal alterations and will be made available for use. Please note that until the revised signal arrangement at the Newtown Avenue / Seapoint junction (which will provide cyclists with dedicated phases) is completed the cycle track will end at this point.
Phase 2: Harbour area to Park Road
- Works to the cycle track are progressing well with the buff surfacing, lining and the final layout at the Park Road junction to be completed.
Phase 3: Brighton Vale to Clifton avenue & Park Road to Sandycove Avenue East
Phase three completed the following works:
- Introduction of the one way from Park Road to Sandycove Avenue East
- Installation of the kerb and lining along this section
- Buff surfacing was completed from Brighton Vale to Clifton Avenue
In phase 4 the following works are planned:
- Installation of the final section of one way from Clifton Avenue to Coal Quay Bridge
- Continuation of buff surfacing along this section
When the buff surfacing works reach Coal Quay Bridge, they will move to the section on Queens Road. The kerbing crew will then fall back on the section between Brighton Vale to Coal Quay Bridge and install the kerbing and lining
Despite some setbacks due to poor weather, good progress was made this week and we are optimistic that the majority of works will be completed by the end of the month. If this is the case then the entire 3.6km of segregated cycle route will have been delivered in 25 working days at an average rate of 144m per day.
Update on Works 10/7/20:
Works to Phase 1 (Newtown Avenue to Brighton Vale) were hampered this week due to poor weather. This delayed the completion of section by almost 5 days. The anti skid was completed on Friday 10 July and the lining is scheduled to be completed on Saturday 11 July which completes section 1. Some permanent signage will follow later in the project.
While we understand people are eager to use the new surface we would remind people that this new two way cycle track is currently still a construction site. The application of the buff surface treatment is loose until it sets and is swept and cycling on unbound materials may result in a loss of control. As soon as it can be used, it will be opened.
Phase 2 commenced on Monday 6 July with the following works now completed:
- Introduction of the one way from Park Road to the entrance to the Lexicon car park.
- Repairs to the road surface along this stretch.
- Installation of bollards and completion of lining.
- Alteration of the exit from the roundabout in the Harbour area.
- Lining works in the Harbour area.
- Surface repairs and sealing of joints between Park Road and Sandycove Avenue West.
- Introduction of the one-way system from Park Road eastward.
Please note that there will be a road closure in place on Queen's Road from Park Road to the entrance to the Pavilion Car Park from Friday 10 July (at midnight) to Sunday 12 July (at midnight). This is to facilitate the reopening of the CoCo Markets in this area.
Due to commence Monday 13 July, Phase 3 will see the following works commence:
- Continuation of the one way system from Brighton Value to Clifton Avenue.
- Installation of buff surfacing.
- Installation of kerbing and lining.
- Alterations to the traffic signals.