A week of CELEBRATION of all that’s good about CYCLING!
National Bike Week is taking place from June 9th to 17th and is a celebration of cycling in Ireland. It is the perfect week to rediscover your love of cycling and all things bike.
Cycling is the ultimate family activity and is suitable for all ages. It is free, fun and keeps us fit and healthy. During Bike Week 2018, many events will take place all over Dublin that will appeal to all cyclists including a number of events being held by Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council:
- June 12 (Tuesday) – Free Bike Clinic, Crofton Road, Dún Laoghaire – Come along for your free bike check and basic repairs from 12.30-2.30pm.
- June 12 (Tuesday) – Street Velodome at Dundrum Town Centre (Tesco car park)- Street Velodrome is a unique fun cycle or sport concept which brings all the theatre and drama of Olympic style track cycling right into the heart of the communities it visits using an innovative pop up velodrome with elevated banked corners. The event is mainly ‘Invite only’ with invites being made to nearby local schools, over 50 age groups and special needs cyclists. However, people can come along between 1pm to 4pm and try it out.
- June 13 (Wednesday) – ‘Bike to Work Day’ for all workplaces. Why not organize a lunchtime cycle for your staff!
- June 15 (Friday) – Free Bike Clinic, Carmanhall Road Sandyford – Come along for your free bike check and basic repairs from 12.30-2.30pm.
- June 15 (Friday) – Art Competition presentation. Children were required to draw an A4 poster around the theme ‘Cycling with your family’ with prizes on offer for the best entries in four categories by class.
- June 16 (Saturday) – BikeFest 2018 - ‘Pedal in the Park’ Cycling activities in Cabinteely Park 1pm to 5pm – Bikefest will present a spectacular cycle themed festival event featuring Bike Tune Ups, Bling UR Bike decorations, Cycling Information, Food and Smoothies made by our pedal powered Smoothie maker. Strolling entertainment will come from “Cycle Circus” performers and Street Entertainers and a unique cycle stunt show from Ben Savage's Savage Skills. Generous prizes are also on offer for those who cycle to the event by picking up ‘clues’ along four selected routes. Come along to this Free Event for an afternoon of fun activities. More details on http://events.dlrcoco.ie/event/bikefest-2018
According to An Cathaoirleach Cllr Tom Murphy, “Bike Week aims to promote cycling as a healthy, sustainable and fun mode of travel for school, commuting or leisure with many cycling events taking place in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown and across Ireland. It is an ideal opportunity for families to rediscover the bicycle and find out how convenient cycling can be for local trips while at the same time discovering the local community. This comes at a time when cycling numbers are growing all across the County with numbers increasing by about 6% year on year’’
Visit Bike Week for a full list of Dublin and national events.
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, Gerry Flaherty
Dlr Sports Partnership, Gwen O’Looney (Street Velodrome Event)