Report an Abandoned Vehicle
To report an abandoned vehicle, contact email@example.com providing the following details:
- Vehicle Registration
- Colour / Make / Model
- Exact Location
- Period of time that vehicle has not been moved - Vehicles must not have moved for a minimum of 4 weeks
- Name and Contact Number
- A photo of the vehicle tax disc if possible. This will help expedite the process
The Council will arrange to investigate the matter.
If the vehicle is suspected being abandoned the Council will then follow a procedure of issuing notifications to the registered owner. This may also include affixing a notice to the vehicle.
The process from initial inspection to removal can take up to 8 weeks
The following should also be noted:
- Vehicles on public roads which are causing obstruction or road safety hazard should be reported to the Gardai.
- While a vehicle with no tax or insurance may be an indicator that a vehicle is abandoned, the issue of no tax or insurance on a vehicle on a public road does not automatically deem a vehicle abandoned. Having no Tax or Insurance on a public road is a matter for the Gardai and does not fall under the remit of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council.
- Burned out vehicles should also be reported to the Gardai. Burning out a vehicle is criminal behaviour.
- Vehicles in estates which are owned by persons resident in the estate will not be deemed abandoned.
- Vehicles on private lands, private car parks or in estates not taken in charge by the County Council will not be deemed abandoned or investigated.
- Broken down vehicles, poorly parked vehicles or vehicles involved in residential parking disputes are not considered abandoned.
Surrender your End of Life Vehicle
Is your car/van past its “sell by” date? Are you looking to dispose of it?
Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council can remove and dispose of “end of life” vehicles. This service is free of charge. All of the cars which are removed are sent to a metal recycling company where they are crushed and then recycled.
To arrange for your “end of life” vehicle to be removed, please contact the Council’s Infrastructure and Climate Change Department at 2054700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org