Intro Text 


In general, up to 40% of the dwellings, which become available for allocation by dlr or for nomination to a housing association, accommodation will be available to households who have been approved for a transfer in accordance with the Housing Allocation Scheme.

Tenants who have completed 3 years tenancy with Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council will be entitled to apply for inclusion on the medical/overcrowding lists provided they meet either of the following criteria.

(a)      Living in overcrowded accommodation in accordance with the terms of the Council’s Scheme of Letting Priorities. To qualify for a transfer on overcrowding grounds the household must be making best use of the accommodation which it is currently occupying so that the overcrowding is unavoidable. Where a person in a household under the age of 10 years is obliged to sleep in the same room as a person of the opposite sex over the age of 10 years that household shall be eligible for a transfer on overcrowding grounds. Where a parent is obliged to sleep in the same room as one or more of their children they will be eligible for a transfer on overcrowding grounds.

(b)      Medical condition for which the Council’s Medical Adjudicator has awarded 5 or more medical points.

Mutual transfers may also allowed between tenants with similar properties and in cases where a transfer achieves a better use of accommodation.  The Council can consider applications for mutual transfer from tenants of dwellings of different sizes in certain circumstances.

In all cases, an offer of transfer to alternative accommodation will only be made where:

(i)      The rent and service charges accounts are clear, where a binding legal agreement, to the satisfaction of the County Council’s Law Agent, has been entered into to pay arrears of rent and service charges.

(ii)      The dwelling being vacated is in a good state of repair and decoration.

(iii)     The household concerned is, as far as the Council is aware, not anti-social.

For more information contact the Housing Allocations Section on


Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council actively promotes ‘Downsizing’ for existing Council tenants who find that their current accommodation is too big for their needs.

Priority is given to tenants seeking to ‘Downsize’ and every effort is made to find a more suitable smaller property for them to move to.  

The ‘Downsizing’ process helps us to make better use of our housing stock as we can reallocate the larger properties returned to us to families on the housing list. In return tenant's who downsize get a more manageable place to live in their local community.

If you would like to register your interest in downsizing, please complete and return the downsizing application form to:

Housing Allocations,

Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council,

County Hall, Marine Road,

Dún Laoghaire,

Co. Dublin.