The legislative frame work for the establishments of Joint Policing Committees is set out in Section 35 of An Garda Síochána Act 2005 and the amendments to this act in 2014. Section 36(2) of the Act provides that a JPC’s function is to serve as a forum for consultations, discussions and recommendations on matters affecting the policing of the local authority’s administrative area, and in particular to:-
- Keep under review, a) the levels and patterns of crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour (including the patterns and levels of misuse of alcohol and drugs) and b) the underlying factors that contribute to these issues.
- Advise the local authority and the Garda Síochána on how they might best perform their functions and do everything feasibly possible to improve the safety and quality of life, to prevent crime, disorder and anti-social behaviour.
- Arrange and host public meetings concerning matters affecting the policing of the local authorities administrative area.
- Establish in consultation with the local Garda Superintendent and specific neighbourhoods, local policing fora to discuss and make recommendations to the JPC.
- Co-ordinate the activities of local policing fora.
(Taken from the national Joint Policing Forum guidelines).
Garda Districts Covered by the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Joint Policing Committee.
The majority of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown is located within the Dublin Metropolitan East district.
Within the DLR East district there are two sub districts of “F” covering Dún Laoghaire, Shankill and Cabinteely and the “W” covering the Blackrock, Stillorgan and Dundrum areas.
Dun Laoghaire Garda Station
Tel: 01 6665000
Blackrock Garda Station
Tel: 01 6665200
Dundrum Garda Station
Tel: 01 6665600
Shankill Garda Station
Tel: 01 6665900
Cabinteely Garda Station
Tel: 01 6665400
Joint Policing Committee (JPC) Meeting Dates 2019:
4th April 2019 6pm, Old Council Chamber, County Hall, Dún Laoghaire
13th June 2019 6pm, venue to be decided
19th November 2019, time and venue to be decided - PUBLIC MEETING
Local Policing Forum (LPF) Meeting Dates 2019:
Sandyford / Stepaside LPF - 20th March 2019,
Public Meeting 2nd April, Kilternan Parish Centre 8pm
Loughlinstown / Ballybrack / Shankill - 11th April 2019
Dún Laoghaire - 13th March 12.30pm The Annex, County Hall,
22nd May, The Annex, County Hall
Public Meeting to be announced
Operation of the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Joint Policing Committee.
While the Garda and DLRCC partnership is central to the effective operation of the JPC it is essential that there is a collective approach to assigning and accepting responsibility
- JPC members should indicate what they will contribute to its work. All stakeholders have a role to play.
- All members should be familiar with the Guidelines.
- All members should know the 3 strategic priorities identified for the year. A constructive and collaborative approach by all members is required to achieve results
- All members should promote the work, achievements and success of the JPC through all channels of communication.
Members should be aware that policing issues that are in the Dún Laoghaire Rathdown area should in the first instance be referred to the relevant Garda Station.
The current Guidelines state that this JPC should be strategic. It should not be a forum for addressing matters of detail. It should set priorities and be action orientated.