Intro Text 

Upgrading of dlr Carnegie Library


Status:  Repairs to protect the property under construction

The Dún Laoghaire Carnegie Library is located at the western end of Georges Street Lower, Dún Laoghaire.  The library opened in 1912 and closed when staff moved to the dlr lexIcon in October 2014.  It is a designated Protected Structure included in Schedule 1 of the Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council’s Development Plan 2010-2016.  While some interim measures were taken to repair the roof in 2010, with further remedial works in 2011 a complete overhaul is necessary to prevent further water ingress into the building, the thermal performance needs to be improved, some of the joints and bricks need re-pointing, the windows need to be thoroughly overhauled as does the heating and electrical wiring (which has been up-graded on an ad hoc basis over the years).